06-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #1851
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

I Got It!

YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!

Collection was all a bit random as we got distracted with some issues with a Mini we bought for my mum.

The dealership was doing renovations, so the car was in the “downstairs” showroom … or glorified garage.

My wife arranged for the car to be wearing a big red bow which was very cute.

By the time we got to actually doing the handover it was getting late so we did it in a bit of a rush … I haven’t had a chance to really play with it yet.

Sadly, I didn’t get any pressies … probably on account of all the grief I have given them.

There were a few little problems.

1) No iPhone cradle (but we all know they have been held back following overheating problems).
2) They gave me the wrong rubber boot mat.
3) Somehow I got convinced to buy rubber mats even though the car already came with the expensive velour ones (that said, given the car is going to be in fields most of the time it’s probably for the best).
4) The passenger seat has a very nasty chemical stain on it … I am sure they are going to have fun sorting that out.

But all of that will get sorted out, so I am easy … Just happy to have my car!

What to say about the car …

So many buttons ...

... well no not really it’s all iDrive

TV is really cool … and … *cough* … is now restriction free

Things I wasn’t expecting, or was depending on how you look at it …

… reading the forums I was expecting a cubby hole by the steering wheel … nada … I guess that only on the US variant.

Likewise, the keyfob only has 3 buttons … unlike the US one which has 4 (activate lights and/or horn).

Seeing the car in the flesh for the first time, it actually looks quite meaty and the 19” wheels seem to come up looking a bit small … I should have listened to my wife and had the wheels sprayed black.

Top view is really cool … but I could do with a zoom … I don’t quite seem to be parking close enough to the kerb. Its freaky to be able to see most of the way round the car … especially the little white box you are parked in! Integrates nicely with the electric tow bar too … wish I had had that when I used to tow the horses more frequently.

The HUD is truly fantastic … however I have one complaint, and that is it clips the left of the display (Speed Limit Info ) for your left eye if you lean even slightly to the left of centre … I think I shall explore that issue in more detail, but it was hard to do on the drive home.

My online account has not been set up, so I was not able to test Internet, and without the cradle all I could do was use Bluetooth to integrated my iPhone.

I thought I would hate Auto Start/Stop and Auto Hold … but actually it worked great, and I feel all warm and fuzzy at traffic lights when my engine goes silent. Driving from the dealer to my home, you would not believe how many times the car tuned off, and always started just in time to move off.

Didn’t really get to feel the power ... but the car does feels nice … it’s been a while since I was able to enjoy a diesel engine … I am sure it will feel great when I eventually get round to putting my foot down!

The lighting at the dealership sucked and I didn’t have any time. Taking photos on the street isn’t cool … so the real pictures and feature breakdown will have to wait till a sunny weekend.

Thanks for all the company while I was patiently waiting for it … although hard, it has been worth it.

It’s good to know there are a few more 35ds due …

… and if anyone had HUD with Speed Limit Info, I would be interested to know the horizontal field of view.

P.S. Saw a cool Mini there … I wish I had known it was possible …
Attached Images

F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0