Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
Hey guys,

My situation...

So after only 13500 miles on my Continental ContiSportContact 3 RFT it looks like I need to start thinking about new tires. I did a little research and found out I could get 5 (3 fronts / 2 rears) Continental ExtremeContact DW and another wheel for about the same price as 4 new ContiSportContact 3 RFT wheels. The ExtremeContact DW's have a higher tread life, presumably a higher performance, less rotating mass, and presumably better ride comfort than the RFTs.

My question is this...

1. If I tote around a full size in the trunk is the TPMS going to be confused about which sensor to monitor?
2. If I install the full size spare how do I register the sensor with the TPMS system so it is tracking the newly installed wheel and not the one I just took off?

Thanks!
1. The TPMS should not respond to the spare tire in the trunk since it's not rotating and its transmitter should not be on. It also will be shielded from the TPMS pick-up antennas by the metal trunk floor. The TPMS transmitters are battery powered active devices that transmit at 433 mHz. They shut down to conserve battery power when the wheel is not rotating.

2. As soon as you mount the spare, you should go through the quick TPM reset procedure which will recognize the "new" transmitter. Takes about 0.6 miles to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0