View Single Post
      11-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
CharlieX
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i drop top

Considering an X3 this weekend, but compare to a Q5?

Wife's 2011 128i convertible isn't going to cut it for our incoming baby.

Issues we have with it: very loud car when the top is up. You can hear every thud and chunk and rattle of the suspension. Plus it's developed a few annoying rattles in the interior. As a daily commuter it really isn't great in that respect. It's mentally tiring. With the top down it's a whole different car. It's fun to drive. I personally find the steering too stiff, but whatever.

Radio LCD blacks out when the car interior gets hot (parked in the sun). Takes several minutes of A/C before you can read it. Also it's polarization exactly matches my sunglasses - so it's completely blacked out. Minor annoyances, but it makes me wary of BMW in general.

I drive an A4. Love it to death. It's in the shop and I've been loaned a Q5. It's a great car. Super quite ride. Handles awesome. Impeccable Audi interior. Wife is very impressed with it as well.

BUT:

We have 4 months left on the 128i, but assume BMW will be able to juggle us a better deal than Audi. Plus lease specials on the X3 right now are way better than Audi. Also you get more creature comforts for the price in the BMW (heated seats, auto dimming mirrors). I just hope that the X3 is a step up in overall build quality and, well, luxury feel than our 128.

Any thoughts? It would be great to test drive an X3 for a week like this Q5.
Appreciate 0