01-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihko View Post
Ok, Guys.

Looks like we are experiencing the same problem!
If any of you carry account in Facebook or twitter, can you make a research, may be some other owners has similar issues?
Today I did some investigations. Actually waste my Sunday to find out roots of the problem.

I took translucent reinforced medical tape and at first tape upper portion of the drivers door glass where it goes to the sash of the window. Drove up to 80 km/h . sound become slightly less, but still exists.

Than I taped perimeter of a side mirror plastic base . Drove up to the same speed and get slightly less sound as well.

At third I taped windshield jamb. There is a kind of continuous cavity along the side of the glass capped with kind of molding. This action remove some sound as well.

At fourth I tape small narrow gap between top railing and vehicle roof rib. It is like may be 1/8" to 1/4" gap there.

Sound becomes to normal. Like I usually feels on other type of cars or SUV's. Like air pushed by vehicle in front of it.

On Fifth step I remove tape which I applied at First. Again I start hearing noise coming from the top of the glass, but not much as it was originally. I took a suction cap, which is used for the glass installation in a curtain wall industry and applied it to inner side of drivers door glass. During driving I pull suction cap towards to another side of the vehicle, to inside. Sound disappear.

On my car I also have exterior gasket exposed outside of the vehicle body approximately up to 2 mm. It is quite possible, that this exposed gasket also developing noise, but I was not able to seal it or hide it in a vehicle body.
Based on this I came to the following conclusions:

1. 2015 BMW X3 has pour design at those areas, described above. Noise appearing when speed is over 60-65 km/h.

1.1. Drivers door glass does not apply enough force (compression) to the gasket at the top of the sash and on inclined sash as well. As a result, air leakage developing sound at this area.
1.2. Mirror base doesn't sealed properly to the door frame and air leakage appear as well as sound.
1.3. The gap between roof rib and top railing is the worse part of the vehicle, where this noise appears very loud. FYI I did on Saturday some test drives with Audi Q5, Audi Q7, VW Toureg, and Mercedes ML 350 Blutec. The best sound proof I found has Audi Q5. NOTHING to complain about! And BTW top railing at all of this cars does not make any gaps between Roof Side Ribs and Top Railing because Top Railing is moved back from the windshield form 50 to 100 mm back depends of the vehicle.

All these items can't be resolved by us along. These are BMW issues and they have to take care about it.

I'll write formal complain to dealer as well to BMW Canada and see what is going on. If they will be able to resolve the issue, it will be OK. If not I'll go to media. I know that Toronto Star has one guy who is dealing with this kind of problems.

In General I love my X3. Nice size, fuel efficient, I enjoy driving it... but this noise makes me crazy. I cross my fingers, that BMW will hear us and our opinion.

P.S. If you will make some investigation by yourself or with your dealer, please share it with me as well. I'll really appreciate to be on a loop.
Wow this is interesting looks like the LCI didn't fix and X3 and X4 not the same in all aspects for the X4 is quiet like a church mouse in all speeds. This is disappointing BMW knew of the issue and didn't fix in the LCI.
Appreciate 0