View Single Post
      11-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUrbanCowboy View Post
I also have the same issue. I have P7 on 19" in summer and Dunlop 4D on 17" in winter and the noise difference is pretty big, especially when doing 90-100 mph when I am on business travel........

What is freaking me out is not the noise level per se (could be quieter) but the story around that when I ordered the X3 for our company........

Those arguments did not go down well, to be honest.......
Sounds to me she was being totally frank and honest. She is right, I've been around BMW long enough to know not all BMWs are equal.

Was discussing this very subject with a BMW Technical Manager a couple of years back. BMW used to pride themselves back in the 1970's that BMW were the same build quality, whether 3-series or 7-series, I remember reading it in their blurb. But these days, as he explained "BMW are no longer the same sausage, different skin". Models are now build for different markets, different competition sectors, etc., so will have variations in build specifications.

I've just gone back to a 5-series, 3-series cars just aren't in the same league. It is the finer details which give the 5-series that better quality feel and finish. 3-series may be near it in some areas, with the same components, but that is not all that makes the car a bit special, even within the premium sector. Even something like the extra rubber seal around the 5-series tailgate, and around the bonnet, gives that finer finishing detail and enhances the luxury feel when driving.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0