View Single Post
      03-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by am36 View Post
Myself and the dealer had a good chat about the tyre insurance - he said the average miles driven for each puncture is about 80,000. Seemed a bit high to me, but even if it was half that, I still thought that with my low annual mileage it was worth the risk of not getting the insurance (which we thought was about equivalent to 1.25 tyres worth). Time will tell if i was correct in not taking it of course.
Problem with averages, they mean nothing to any individual user. I had 3 punctures in 4-years while in my E39, one writing off a nearly new tyre. Went the whole ownership of the E91 without a puncture over 6-years. Law of averages, I'm due a puncture soon...

Some users of RFTs report going years with very few punctures, but once on RFTs getting many more punctures. Reports say there is no difference to averages with RFTs, but I'm not so sure. We seem to hear of more penetrations of objects. I suspect it is because the tyres are less pliable and may be more susceptible to picking up objects. Have no proof of that, but have read others thinking the same way. Softer tyre construction deflecting an object more readily. Maybe more are also on lower profiles with RFTs, that could be part reason for the increase users experience as well.

Anyone experienced this increase in puncture frequency, once on RFTs?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0