05-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
well said Mako!
The deal with M-B is that they are going off-track with producing and even worse- designing their true legacy cars and what they were used to do best. In contrary, BMW resumed its focus and Audi picking up very fast (thanks to the boost by VW!)
IMO, M-B needs to revert back and focus only on the cars that define its true caliber: Luxury!
You see, I'm a crazy BMW fan. But I always see myself driving a classy M-B above 55 years of age (if I'm alive!). This is a personal opinion though...
I completely agree with you on the image, when I was a teenager (15 years ago) I always thought that BMW was the sporty car and MB was the luxury car, M-B was always a little more expensive (like 5%) but was more luxurious inside and pampered the occupants, while the BMW had better performance and was more fun to drive, so to me the BMW was for the younger crowd and Mercedes for the older crowd or people who don't care about performance and wanted the status symbol of mercedes more. Then BMW started getting a little more luxurious and Mercedes more sporty, trying to catch each other, everything became a blur! you didn't know which car was better for your needs anymore where in the past it was obvious. BMW seems to be going back to their roots a little with the 3 and 5 series, but Mercedes is still lost, I think the Chrysler thing messed them up. Don't get me wrong, Mercedes still produces some really nice cars (most of their AMGs are still amazing) but they are really messing up on some other cars and their lineup is too big now, people complain about BMW having too many cars, look at Mercedes!
Appreciate 0