Thread: Tire size
View Single Post
      05-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #13
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Well, too far in and they will rub the suspension. Too far out and they will rub the metal part of the wheel well (the body of the car).

Stock is 38 front & 48 rear for the M-Sport, we know that works with the wider wheels and tires. I'm sure you could go a little bit different either way, but I don't know how much. Maybe 5mm? Maybe 10? I'm sure that going more than 20 and almost 30 would be too much.

You will have to do some research on what wheels people use and if they had a problem or not. Pay attention to their tire size when you gather information. The best thing to do is have a shop that sells the wheels do a test fitment first, and only sell you something that will work. If you buy online you take a risk of it not working. Unless you stick around the 38 / 48 numbers and don't go too far off of that.

Again, you can vary from 38 / 48, but how far is unknown.

By the way, offset does not matter for 17, 18, 19, or even 20" wheels. It's not the diameter that is important, it's the width of the wheel and the offset that determines if you will rub on something. Assuming of course that you have the right size tires!
Appreciate 0