View Single Post
      05-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #2
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

-------------------------------------------------------------------Alternative Instructions 3----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
( Two people needed)

1. Take your 17mm socket and wrench and crack loose the bolts on your wheel. Just crack them loose. Do not completely loosen the bolts since your car is not jacked up. This is much better than trying to loosen the bolts while the wheel is spinning when it's up in the air.

2. Once every lug is cracked loose, then jack up the X3. Support the SUV with jack stands.

3. Once the wheel is off then it will look like this.
4. Open the hood and remove the cowling panel that hides your brake fluid reservoir by removing the 6’ of rubber seal and a portion of the 5 foot section of rubber seat. Then pinch the tab and pull up.
5. Remove the OEM brake reservoir cap and try to remove old fluid if you can, but most likely the filter screen will not come loose. So top it off at max and move to the wheel / brake caliper location. I have seen people recommend starting at the right rear, left rear, passenger side, and then driver side. I opted to ignore it and just do what was convenient.
6. Use a ¼ OD clear hose and home-made catch-can and connect it to the caliper. Hang the catch-can above the bleed screw. Remove the protective cover on the screw and put the wrench over the screw, and then connect the catch-can’s clear hose to the caliper nipple.
7. Open the bleed screw by turning counter clockwise about ¼ to a ½ turn to break it loose and then close it softly.
8. If your brake fluid is black in the reservoir or you are overly cautious, I recommend that you follow this step. Place a folded towel under the brake pedal to limit travel of the pedal during the brake bleeding session in step 9. Old dirty fluid can build up in the master cylinder and can cause seal problems when bleeding due to the piston travel being extended more than normal.
9. Have an assistant push on the brakes slowly and pay particular attention to how much you have to open the bleeder screw to get fluid to come out. Have the assistance make slow continuous pumps. Fast short pumps on the pedal are advised against. After about 4 or 5 pumps recheck the fluid level in the reservoir and refill as necessary.
10. Wait until the fluid looks clean in the clear hose and then close the bleed valve. Move to the next wheel / caliper location and repeat step 9 for the four wheels.
11. Reinstall all wheels, lower vehicle, reinstall the cowling panel, rubber seals, confirm the brake fluid cap it tight.