01-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
TATERHED
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, M4 G83 DG/TT

Garage List
2022 Bmw M4 G83  [0.00]
Searching for my next Car..... X4 M40i

Hello!

Wife just took delivery of a new X3 28i Xdrive msport. I really liked the car. So much, in fact, I decided to find one for myself--or maybe an X4 3.5i

Until I saw the X4 M40,

So, now I want one. Can't afford/don't want a new one, but want to make sure I get the right one--cause I tend to keep cars a long time.

With my scouring of the reviews, boards and news etc... I'm trying to figure out what the specific differences are between the X4 3.5i, early X4 M40i and current production X4 M40i. What the build dates are to desire/avoid. Also, can any of the improvements be retro-fitted? (read idrive 5)

I'm pretty familiar with the mechanical M40i updates vs the 3.5i: Of course I want the latest greatest M40i, but..... $$$$

So, my questions: (Thanks for your help in advance)
  • Other than the 50hp, stiffer suspension, exhaust and cosmetics, Anything else significant between 3.5i and M40? Obviously, upgrading the exhaust, a few suspension tweeks and a chip would go a long way to even the two if that's what I wanted/needed (assuming Dynamic Damper on both)
  • I've read that the post-April 1, 2016 production date cars have updated idrive 5.0 (M40i). Any other updates between X4 3.5 and M40i current production (iDrive, electronics etc...)?
  • I'm seeing a huge price difference between X4 3.5 and early X4 M40i---also big difference between X4 M40i pre/post 1 April 2016. Don't quiz me, but every 'good deal' I chase down proves to be pre-April. Can the 1April M40i iDrive upgrade be retrofitted to M40i ? I don't think so.
  • Finally, opinons on whether the 3.5/M40i premium is worth it? Ditto for the pre-April 2016 M40i vs post April M40i ??

Thanks in advance....I'm a noob, so take it easy. Just want some help deciding which star to chase. The newer the car, the longer the wait (for my price/choice to match my budget!)

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50