07-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I think these lights, low on the front bumper, are more accurately called driving lights. They are aimed low on the road and do not even come close to "blinding" or even distracting on coming drivers.

Driving Lights, if they put out a useful amount of light, do an excellent job of lighting up the road and shoulder surface directly in front of the car. I guess it can be argued that there is no need to see the area immediately in front of the car because anything seen is much too close to do anything about. Nevertheless, my preference is to see as much as possible.

In my opinion the more properly aimed and distributed light in front of the car the better, and there is usually never enough. To that end I leave my driving lights on both my Z3 and Lexus set to be on any time the headlights are on. As soon as I get my hands on my X3 this week I plan to check out these lights. If they will do something consequentially more useful than the factory lights, are reliable, and not entail risk of damaging my car, I intend to buy and install them.
The fog, or driving lights, as they are installed from the factory do not blind other drivers. When you install a bulb like the HID kit you're putting out much more light than the housing was designed for and you will blind other drivers. In my opinion, the only time I would say an HID kit doesn't blind other drivers is when projectors are used to keep the light where it's supposed to go. Even in that case the projects are designed for a specific kind of bulb and position that you can have issues, but it's at least a better option than putting HID bulbs in an open-reflector housing.

There are trucks scattered around the area that I live with HID kits stuffed into every orifice of the front bumper, and they absolutely blind other drivers.
Appreciate 0