06-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Same here in the UK, unless we buy the top level service package.

I can understand if you drive hard, pads are worn faster than a lot of drivers. As to the rotors, if they are just above the thickness threshold, it is understandable why the garage have recommended new rotors. The old rotors won't last the life of the new pads without running under the threshold. There has to be a judgement made and it makes good sense to replace.

To be fair, over here in our Highland climate rotors often need replacing ahead of pads, due to corrosion. Both get replaced together as normal practice. OEM rotors are virtually as disposable as pads these days, on many vehicles. Soft rotor material wears at a greater rate than when we used to have asbestos material in the pads.

HighlandPete
Hi HighlandPete,

I appreciate your neutral comment. To be honest, I dislike this service advisor, I wouldn't be surprised that he's trying to rip me off. He first started conversation by saying brakes will be $435+tax and fog light to be $350+tax. I was like fuming, no explaination and gave me the cost of repairs. Then I asked if he had asked BMW Canada about the fog light replacement (fog light cracked) under warranty in which I originally stated when I dropped it off. He then said it will take 1-2 days and funny enough they actually replaced it under warranty same day. Anyways, I will probably get a second opinion on the brake rotors replacement at another dealership.

Thanks,

edit: he simply said brakes will be $435+tax, I was shocked since I know pads only cost 230ish+tax then I was like why so much then he bothered to explain to me the rotors needs to be replaced too.

Last edited by Mingstar88; 06-07-2014 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: added more info
Appreciate 0