09-01-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB101 View Post
On Tire Rack it mentioned we need the new TPMS. My agent said the sensors are built into the system and not mounted on the wheels.
If your "agent" works in the service department, I'd look for a different Service Dept. If that statement came from a CA, I'm not surprised since they often don't have any understanding of the vehicle from an engineering viewpoint.

The F25 X3 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) uses a battery powered transmitter mounted in each wheel (cost: About $50 each from Tire Rack). Pre mid-2006 E83's used the "less accurate, indirect", wheel speed sensing system, but after 2006 BMW went to real pressure monitoring instead of the older indirect method. When the F25's came out the frequency of the RF transmitters was changed, so although the E83 transmitters look like the new F25 transmitters, they won't work with the newer system.

The only "sensors built into the system" are the pick-up antenna boxes adjacent to each wheel, that work in conjunction with the wheel's internal transmitters. Mounting aftermarket wheels without TPMS transmitters, will, of course, disable the TPMS.

If you want the vehicle TPMS to work, you must invest in a set of transmitters. With "normal" use, the batteries are expected to last 5 or 6 years. There is a kit to replace the batteries, a process that also requires some gasket replacements.

Last edited by Lotus7; 09-01-2011 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0