08-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessToon View Post
Looking at your figures for your 3.0d I am very impressed. I have the 2.0d auto and have covered just short of 2k miles. My average on the screen shows 38.5mpg.
On a recent trip to York from Surrey I managed to achieve 45mpg at varying speeds of 70 to 85mph. Certainly haven't got anywhere near 50mpg.

Would of liked the extra power of 3.0d. going by the economy of it should of gone for it and dropped a few extras instead.

never mind, still a great car!
You'll easily get over 50mpg if you drop down to 60mph, or just under. My average is probably about 32mpg now (after 11000 miles) but it's meaningless as a comparison because of the number of frequent short trips that are made. If you commute 30 miles each day and average about 50mph you'll get a much higher overall mpg.

All of that said, the 30d has very impressive figures that are pretty close to the 20d but then if you drive the 30d conservatively you could argue you should have bought the 20d. I'd buy a 30d if I had the choice now just so I had the option of the extra power when needed

I think I've managed 52mpg over 80 miles but can't remember exactly - that was driving around 60mph, no cruise control, and trying hard to maximise the mpg on hills etc (cruise control not as efficient over hills)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0