Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
No other problems, it starts, accelerates and handles great. No leaks squeaks, rattles, etc.

This seems to be a computer “glitch” type of situation. There are multiple red and amber warning lights on the center dash display and the computer screen has a cryptic warning that there is a problem with the brakes, the ABS and the “4X4” and to drive as slowly as possible and to contact your BMW dealer immediately. However, the car works OK and the brakes and AWD systems seem to be working normally. As soon as the engine is stopped and then restarted, the warnings go away. If an ABS sensor or other system hardware component had actually failed, the error would remain after a restart. Also, there are no ABS failure codes on the OBD-II port.

The real problem is that with the car signaling a “false alarm” every few hundred miles, if a real component failure does occur, the driver will probably be conditioned to ignore it. I’ve already filed a safety complaint with the US DOT and have been assigned a case number for investigation. If BMW doesn’t get this resolved soon, they will be facing a class action suit as well as a DOT recall. The DOT requires that all cars equipped with ABS systems have a fail-safe warning. By implication, that means a warning that actually works.

This situation is like having a smoke alarm falsely trigger every other week at 3 o’clock in the morning for no apparent reason. Not many people would tolerate it for very long.
Glad to hear you are on top of it. Please keep us posted as to what happens!
Appreciate 0