02-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Since your $1200 package won't be "run-flats", what's your plan for addressing a possible puncture? I've seen winter packages of conventional winter tires and wheels for that sort of cost, but the run-flats on run-flat wheels are much more expensive. The "plain" $125 to $150 wheels are fine, but according to BMW (X3 35i Owner's Manual pp. 213) "The wheels are composed of special rims and
tires that are self-supporting, to a limited degree. The support of the sidewall allows the tire to remain drivable to a restricted degree in the event of a pressure loss."

BMW insists that you use wheels designed for run-flat tires. On the other hand, Tire Rack claims that RFT tires can be used on conventional wheels. I've inquired at Dunlop and Bridgestone, and so far, have not received any written confirmation that their run flat tires are safe to use on plain wheels.

I've been thinking along the same lines and the only solutions I've come up with are to carry a couple of cans of tire sealer and a small compressor, or to keep a summer tire, jack and tools in the car, thus loosing a lot of cargo capacity. The thought of waiting and paying for a flat-bed truck to pick up the car for a flat tire seems out of the question.

Has anyone seen non-OEM RUN-FLAT wheels for less money than the BMW ones?
I now have a set of Run-Flat Blizzark LM-60s on my stock ZCP wheels. (I bought the Style 313 wheels from the 335is sports and use those for summer). The last 2 winters I had Blizzark on Tire rack Nogaro wheels. You know what? They were just fine. Never had an issue even once. YMMV but thats my expirience. Beware of BMW marketing $$$ factor.