View Single Post
      01-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Question for you. Why are you concerned about the ride quality of the 18's? I'm not really following. What are you looking for? What's a quality ride to you?

I've had the largest tire available (as stock) for every BMW I've owned and enjoyed the firm, controlled ride and handling that I think was augmented by the lower profile tires. I personally don't enjoy the slop of a larger tire (not that the 18's have a lot here) and believe the lower profile are generally safer in emergent situations (unless you're driving over curbs and the like, but that's uncommon for most of us). A higher profile tire generally results in less road feel, reduced precision, and lag in particularly dynamic situations.

The new X3 suspension is reportedly intended to take the harshness out of the suspension, so that should address the comfort factor significantly. If you're really looking of a comfort ride (which doesn't usually match BMW for me; I like firm, sporty, feel the road suspensions) add the Dynamic Damping Control so you can get that softer ride when you want it.