mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had a 2007 X3, non-sport with 235-55/18 tires and now own a 2011 X35i SAP/DHP with 245-50/18 Goodyear LS2-runflats

Interior- Easy enough for you to make your own call on that. In my mind the new X3 is a little nicer, but it's not night and day.

Ride - The ride in old car was flinty at best. The new one, in base form, is much softer. For me too soft which is one reason I added the DHP. Try the new car over large bumps or on an undulating road and you'll see how under-damped it is. But over bad pavement/roads it provides a much more forgiving ride than the old car.

Handling - For me, in base form, the old car was simply better, providing a much greater sense of precision and security when pushed a little. Part of this is the steering, as others have pointed out, and part is a lack of chassis and body control. The DHP helps greatly with this.

Transmission - The real problem with the 2007+ cars was the 6-speed GM automatic. I had one of the 'challenged' transmissions which was downright dangerous until the second software update when it improved to merely poor shifting. The new 8-speed is an enormous improvement and most of the time the throttle/transmission response is excellent. However, as others have pointed out, there are times when it is a little lurchy from either a stop, or off/on throttle. However, at its worst, it's worlds better than the old 6-speed in my 2007.

Wind/Road noise - Biggest disappointment for me with the new car is wind/road noise at hi-way speeds, especially above 70mph. It's much more noticeable than in the 2007 X3, and I find it really intrusive. I don't know how many cars are so afflicted, but if you check the boards this appears to be the most common complaint about the new X3. I haven't brought mine in yet to see if the wind noise can be ameliorated (some posts indicate some success with new seals for the mirrors and/or adjusting door alignment) and perhaps new seals here as well). I think there is little to be done about the road/tire noise other than to change tires.

So which do I like better? I really liked the old X3 and would have purchased it at lease end except for the awful transmission. Overall, the new car, with the DHP, is an improvement, especially if the noise problems can be fixed. Also, in my case there is large difference in engine power which makes the comparison a little bit skewed.
Appreciate 0