View Single Post
      12-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #79
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Are you saying you wouldn't test drive other makes and models before pulling the trigger on a $50K car? That would be more unusual than comparison shopping a KIA and a BMW.
i ordered my first wrx before there was a single one in the country, and my turbo legacy when there wasn't one to try. i knew what i was getting in each case, and was happy with the result.

i figure that i'm used to driving what i'm driving. i've been driving a stick for 40 years, and would mostly feel awkward during a brief spell in a different vehicle. i could read a wealth of material on the internet, written by people who spend a lot of their time driving and thinking about cars. and then there are specs- acceleration, mileage, cargo volume, and so on. further, for the x3 in particular, there is its notorious tip-in issue which supposedly disappears after a longer time than any test drive.

so i did a lot of research, settled on the x3 and then went to a dealer to sit in one and decide if i wanted the sport seats and/or the hud. [yes and no, respectively]. i've still never driven an x3, and won't til my pcd in january. but as i said, this is neither the first nor the second time i've ordered a car without driving one.

so i guess maybe that's more unusual than comparing a bmw and a kia, but i did that too along the way, as well as looking at every other brand listed at edmunds. i'm looking forward to my drive home from so. carolina.
Appreciate 0