07-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #23
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat View Post
right..guess I could, but really less interested in getting them knocked down as I am getting in repaired right. At this point, I am intending on getting this fixed and moving my service needs to a different dealer, that is actually closer to me anyway. (want the thrill-I am closer to Detroit, so Kzoo not an option)

Razel-are you still waiting for the parts? If they shipped from Germany last week, it may well be the same less than adequate kit that they tried on mine. The allegedly 'new and improved' fix is actually supposed to be coming from SC, not germany, but not available for 2 more weeks. You may want to clarify this with your dealer, as this TSB just was posted this week...supposedly...
Parts were ordered last week. Don't know if service adviser has the tech bulletin you heard about, but I'll ask when they want the car back in for repair. One thing that I've learned, though, is that BMW does not like "I read on the internet" statements. Kind of have to dance around how you know some things.

BMW has used plastic fuel-disconnects on some of their motorcycles for years. They crack, and naturally, it's the pressure side that cracks, spraying fuel. The company that makes the plastic ones also makes metal ones (oddly, they don't crack), but replacement by BMW was to put in plastic ones until a couple of years ago. Q:"Can't you replace them with the metal ones?" A:"BMW says the plastic is fine". Q: "You know, I've read a lot of different threads on the plastic ones failing again and no issues with the metal ones". A:"The stuff you read on the internet can't be validated".
BTDT ... So, I'll ask about the technical bulletin you heard about, but I don't have high hopes. But, I will exercise the shade a couple times before I drive off. And, there's that chance that in the time between the parts being ordered and the real fix was announced that they'll fix it the right way for me.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0