View Single Post
      09-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #65
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Most of the people that bash the GT's have never sat in or driven one. Until you do, in comparison to what may be seen as an equivalent X-series vehicle, you don't know what they are talking about!

I prefer a practical vehicle, and the GT, built on the 7-series chassis provides easy access, great long distance poise, and more than adequate performance for most normal people. I don't find it ugly, but then, I care more about how it drives, plus, from the inside, it looks like most BMW's. I can't see the outside while I'm driving it, and could care less what others think about it. Nobody is making you buy one...

The 5-series GT, IMHO, got off to a bad start in the USA where it was only available with the V8, no x-drive, and the vast majority of them came in fully loaded making it a nearly $100K car in the USA. The dealers got almost no advertising support, and got stuck with expensive vehicles they couldn't sell. A good portion of them do not stock one, and few have one on their showroom. Some people don't like that extra 3-5" in height, but appreciate the additional height over the sedan. You won't sell many if you don't have any in stock to show people and then let them decide. The GT does sell well elsewhere...people's taste varies - BMW is an international company...they don't only make vehicles for the USA, so how well it does here isn't always a major impact.
Appreciate 0