07-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #151
11x35SapphireBlk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3.5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Well, I don't consider myself a master detailer by any means... but I'll take a stab at an answer.

Dawn isn't the only stripper. There is Crystal, Bambi, and Diamond.... oh, you mean for wax. Okay. Dawn is particularly good because has such good grease cutters. Waxes, polymers and the like are very similar to grease from a chemical point of view. There are many others that will also do the job, just look for the "gets the grease out" type of liquids. But avoid anything too harsh as it might harm the paint itself.

When I was younger, before people were making "car wash soap", I used to use Johnson's Baby Shampoo because it was mild and didn't remove the wax. Plus, if you got some in the headlights, it didn't cry.

If you need to remove wax from just a certain area, say the hood... you can use this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/11135.do

You'll know you've gotten the job done when you do a rinse with a flow of water and it does not bead at all. The paint will feel "grippy" and "squeaky" to your bare hand. Take the brand of dish soap you're using now and do a small test area - then you'll know.
Agree. If you are going to polish and wax then the stripping need of the wash is really unnecessary. The polish will take anything off as it is mechanically removing the top surface of the paint or clearcoat.
Appreciate 0