View Single Post
      06-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

What car did you move from and how does your X3 compare

So I have read on this forum over the last few weeks that a number of people who had the 1st gen X3 believe BMW has gone soft with the new one, and how they miss their previous car. The 1st gen X3 was pretty much universally slated by the automotive media. I never drove one.

But this got me thinking (dangerous I know, but it's ok I was lying down at the time) what car did everyone own prior to their new X3, and how do they compare. Does anybody actually wish they still had their old car ??

To kick us off - I had a Merc C180k sport saloon. Overall, my X3 is a way better car. I really notice the extra engine power (about 20% more than my old car) and the X3 ride is superb in comparason. I have a lot better spec on my new car so I am enjoying that. I also love the higher driving position, although for some reason cant get the steering wheel setting just how I like it - going to have to stop messing with it and just get used to a new position.

The Merc was much better at surpressing traffic and wind noise so was much quieter in the cabin and the quality of the paintwork was excellent - very resistant to scratches, whereas my X3 is less so (ouch). The lower door panels were also covered - I know there has been much debate about these, but my bigger issue is not the look but the fact the inside of the bins are not covered with anything - bring on the rattle as soon as anything is put in them. Very poor.

My Merc (black metallic with body styling) looked the muts nuts when cleaned and waxed. My X3 is shiny but doesn't have the same wow factor. The space grey is however the compromise I was after as it hides the dirt well.

Do I miss my Merc - not even in the slightest way.
Appreciate 0