View Single Post
      04-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Most wheels have enough room to accommodate the TPMS transmitters. They are available from TireRack and currently cost $ 180 for a set of four plus another $32 for the required metal valves. Some special wheels (mainly 3-piece racing wheels) won't allow the TPMS transmitters to be fitted. Remember, the tires will need to be rebalanced with the TPMS transmitters installed.

If you have run-flat tires, the transmitters REALLY should be used to insure you know if a tire is going down. With non-run flats, it's still a very good idea, but not as critical, since most drivers will notice the low tire through other means.

If you don't install the transmitters (for instance if you want to use conventional tires), I believe your BMW dealer can reset the TPMS system to an "OFF" configuration if you don't want to see the constant TPMS warnings. However, you will have to return to the dealer to have it the TPMS system turned back on. It's not something you can do yourself.
Thanks Lotus,

My winter wheels are 17" with Blizzak's mounted on them, so it looks like transmitters can be installed. In another thread somebody told me that the hole pattern and offsets are the same as the first gen X3, so it looks like I'm good to go next winter.
Appreciate 0