01-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
From what my dealer explained I thought I was sure I wanted the Smartphone Integration to use my iPhone with the car for calls, music, etc. and charge it on the road.

Now that I've been reading the manual and the ability to load music onto the system through the USB port, it's become very unclear to me what's most useful.

Comments?

-- Does Smartphone Integration eliminate the USB port and the AUX In ports?
-- Is there really any utility to the Smartphone Integration over a simple charging cable if you have Bluetooth and can load your music into the car once and be done with it? (Also considering the Smartphone Integration seems to take away storage space compared to a phone attached to a cord.)
-- Can an iPhone be charged with the USB port?
-- Does Smartphone Integration have something to do with being able to use the 6NR upgrade (whatever that is) and the Connected iPhone app later this Spring?
I, like you, am not sure and I plan to try out what I get as standard with the pro media package and then add any accessories that I need, probably when I get my new iPhone4.

In answer to your questions, I think the following is true:

Quote:
Does Smartphone Integration eliminate the USB port and the AUX In ports?
YES

Quote:
Is there really any utility to the Smartphone Integration over a simple charging cable if you have Bluetooth and can load your music into the car once and be done with it? (Also considering the Smartphone Integration seems to take away storage space compared to a phone attached to a cord.)
YES, the smartphone integration will also use the car's aerial as I understand it

Quote:
Can an iPhone be charged with the USB port?
Yes

Quote:
Does Smartphone Integration have something to do with being able to use the 6NR upgrade (whatever that is) and the Connected iPhone app later this Spring?
If you want this 6NR upgrade, I think you will at least need the snap-in media adaptor. bmw.co.uk describe this accessory as follows

Quote:
Snap-in media adapter

A sturdy and secure docking system for the Apple iPhone 3G/3G S, with a holder specifically designed for the BMW model in question. An external aerial ensures the best possible reception at all times. With a USB interface to connect the device's music player to the vehicle's audio system, with no cable required, allowing playback of music files through the vehicle's loudspeakers. The cover artwork for the track currently playing is shown on the vehicle's display, so you can see right away what artist or album you are listening to.
As I understand it, 6NR is only firmware, i.e. you won't need a new snap-in adaptor, BUT, that may not be the case.

And one last point:

Quote:
From what my dealer explained ...
I would recommend ignoring what your dealer had to say. At best they are vague, at worst they are misleading in my experience

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0