View Single Post
      01-03-2023, 08:42 AM   #20
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayr View Post
So I got this exact code and it was my transmission cooler. I had it in the shop 4(?) times for this. Once at the dealer, and two different independent shops. They all changed the engine thermostat and since it was an intermittent problem I couldn't know if it was fixed until it messed up again.

The last independent shop also changed the engine thermostat but I brought it back when it started up and they held on to it until it was correctly diagnosed. They only noted 1D2008 but it also had the P code.

Haven't had a problem since it was done early 2021.
So! OP, I would put money on it being your transmission cooler.
I definitely would get a quote from another shop. The independent shop I went to is not the cheapest but they almost exclusively service BMWs.

Edit:
From what I was told driving it was fine, but mine I don't believe completely failed because I could usually turn it off and on at a light and it would go away until it got cold again. I wouldn't do any extended driving though obviously. I dealt with it over like 6 months and there's no apparent damage 2 years and 30k miles later.
Interesting. Good to file away as an alternative cause for low engine temps. They obviously replaced the whole cooler assembly. That is some serious markup on LifeGuard 8 tranny fluid. Online it runs about $25 a liter. Your shop got it wholesale and charged you $45.
Appreciate 0