View Single Post
      08-31-2022, 03:21 PM   #47
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4-Silverstone, 2017 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
There is a method to change it. Someone on the FB group was bold enough to attempt, I followed suit.

The part number is 1308310415-C1, it's not a BMW part number and I don't know if it can be bought new somewhere but there are dismantlers selling them on eBay. I rolled the dice on a seller in Lithuania, paid US$79 shipped and took 2 weeks to arrive. I looked for signs of wear at the LED chips, which are visible - in my photo, the replacement is on the bottom on the bag.

The module is above the headlight bulb housing, remove the bulb for ease of access. But access still isn't easy, I drilled holes in the housing to reach in with a T20 screwdriver and remove the module.

Sadly there's another failure mode to look at - wear to the faces of the plastic DRL "tubes" which you can imagine are functionally fiber optic. The hot LED can cause discoloration. This would warrant entire housing replacement.

I carefully cleaned the faces with IPA and a cotton swab and I think the result is better. The worst part of the job is pulling the bumper cover.

Pictures are not in order but you can clearly see the difference in color of the LED output.
Also, are there two of these modules per head light? One for each ring?
Appreciate 0