j.t.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Brief background: I drove 5-Series (E39) sedans for 10 years prior to buying a use 2012 X3 about 3 years ago. The X3 certainly does not handle like a sedan, that is to be expected - go drive a couple and see how it feels compared to your smaller 3-Series car. But...they are larger, more space and overall a comfy ride, the higher more "chair-like" seating position for front driver/passenger certainly makes for a more comfy long-distance drive, and ingress/egress is easier than the lower slung sedans.

Reliability is quite good. My car has N52 normally aspirated motor (only avail 2011-2012 model years) and has good power; standard suspension w/regular 'go-flat' tires - 52K miles on the clock at purchase, now after 3 years 96K miles - under my ownership NOTHING has 'broken' on this car. Prior owner had failed real hatch lift mechanism & leaking expansion tank, that's it for stuff than has failed over the car's life - impressive in my book.

Stay away from the 4-banger turbo motors built prior to 2015 - they had timing chain guide failure issues. I'd recommend turbo 6 motor, the 4-bangers do run along nicely but they are not as smooth as the inline 6. If you don't mind buying a car with high(er) miles you might consider 2011-2012 model year w/normally aspirated motor (like my car); but again, you're unlikely to find one with low mileage.

Test drive a couple of cars, that's best way to get a feel for the ride/handling/ etc. If car has runflat tires, expect a less than smooth ride - those RF tires seem to be rather harsh.

Find a car to your liking: get your mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection.

Good luck/Bill
Thank you!