View Single Post
      01-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #13
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

I think e30lover has a good point. Many people have experienced engine failure after replacing their OFHG and now everyone recommends to prime your engine after the job is done to ensure oil pressure is present in the engine prior to starting. The idea is that people assumed that somehow the OFHG job caused the engine to run dry for a second or two. However, the OFHG is similar to an oil change. You don't prime your engine after every oil change.

But the root of the problem could be that coolant was leaking into the oil lines due to bad OFHG and oil cooler gasket. It caused damaged and by the time the owner noticed how bad the OFHG got (leaking) and decided to replace but by then it could have been too late. The engines seizes or experiences failure and it is blamed on the OFHG job.

It would make sense as I don't hear about these experiences anymore but did on these forums the past 2 years I have owned my X3. Possibly the early N55s that needed the gasket replacement already had lack of lubrication due to coolant leaking into the oil line, "weaker" bearings, and extended oil changes caused the failures. I am just thinking out loud and can be wrong but I figured it wouldn't hurt to discuss it.
Appreciate 1