07-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #49
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkom View Post
Sure seems like it, but it's almost not worth it to find out any more right? Either way I've got bad options- bent valves? from a timing chain misalignment or the rest of the engines been starved for oil and it's screwed, apparently you can't hone the N20 cyl walls because they are coated. The engine probably has to be replaced either way.

Spending another 5 hours figuring out how to drop the axle/diff to get to the oil pan from below without a lift seems like a pretty difficult way to satisfy my curiosity.

My brother's mailed me his borescope, maybe I'll peep through to see what's going on through a plug...

I wonder if BMW will give me shit or if they will reimburse for the engine with just pictures. In that case, if I take this seized engine out I'd be happy to drop it off at the service center.

The settlement looming over me makes it a tough choice...
I have not read through the lawsuit post, just scanned a couple of threads but at this point, after finding a broken chain guide, I suggest you read through it if you haven't already. Seems there is a cut off of 70K miles but you might be able to persuade them to accept you since you recently bought the car. I know you know where the thread is but here's the link https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556009

In the threads first reply was info that you can use to contact and see what your chances are of being included, who knows, maybe you can get a partial payment if not the whole thing - you have nothing to lose.

"The BMW owners are represented by Joseph R. Santoli, Gary S. Graifman and Jay I. Brody of Kantrowitz Goldhamer & Graifman PC; Bruce H. Nagel and Randee M. Matloff of Nagel Rice LLP; and Thomas P. Sobran of Thomas P. Sobran PC.

The BMW Engine Defect Class Action Lawsuit is Gelis, et al. v. Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft, et al., Case No. 2:17*-cv-07386, in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
"
Appreciate 0