Marty in NY
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakudi View Post
So! The soup thickens a bit...

The shop did a full inspection again and says that the VCG is intact. They're of the opinion that the front crankshaft gasket is leaking and that is causing it. Could that be it?
Could a little drip from that gasket be heated by the radiator (or something else hot in that area) be causing the fumes?

Its a $300 repair but since I already paid these guys $300 for the clamp on the exhaust, I don't know if I trust their analysis. There generally trustworthy and also listed through the list provided by pungo above.
Difficult to say cause I can't smell it. Oil burning is a diff smell than exhaust. Does it smell like oil burning or exhaust? There really isn't anything up front that would be hot enough to smoke/burn dripping oil but as the car moves through the air, leaking oil pushes back towards the rear of the engine/car where there are things that will cause it to burn. If its oil, you should be able to see the leak and where its burning.

Just drive home, let the car sit overnight and then next day, get under it with a flashlight and white paper towel and start inspecting for it, if you see it, clean it up with the paper towel and some degreaser, clean it really well. Then take the car out and let the engine get up to normal operating temp, say 10 miles +. Then drive it home and do it all over again with the flashlight and paper towel. If its leaking, you will/should see it and since you know you cleaned it the day before, you will know that its a fresh leak. Try to see where the oil is going that might be burning it. However, to my nose, burning oil and exhaust fumes smell very different.
Appreciate 0