View Single Post
      04-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
No1PC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3 M-Sport

Ham Radio Installation

I'm just installing my FT-8800 in 2015 x3.

Remoted control head 'jammed' into console space below radio/filler piece and the flat area in front of the cup holder.

Radio currently under driver seat. Slid the 6-lead remote cable along the side gap between radio console facia then behind/under the space indicated above (room for the RJ-11 connector in back upper corner) to get it behind the cover panel to the right of the driver seat, then under the driver seat rail.

Antenna lead - currently a mag mount behind the panorama top window until I can determine otherwise. Power is currently 'iffy' using lighter adapter to back seat socket. Sad because these sockets are live all the time, so I have to be sure to turn the radio OFF.

Thus - digging around to find a power/signal lead source that goes off when vehicle is off, to operate a power relay.

Sure is nothing like my Silverado 2500HD that has all the right places to put things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFOTEC View Post
Just picked up a 2014 X3 xDrive28i with the panoramic sunroof. I'm looking for options on installing a Yaesu FT7900R. It looks like there's a spot next to the battery in the rear to mount the radio and I can run the remote head unit up front, but I'm not sure what my options are for antenna mounts. Anyone installed a ham radio in their X3?
Appreciate 0