View Single Post
      02-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

Post just did ATF pan+fluid @ 191k miles!!!!!!!!!!!!

28i xdrive prod date:11/11
original water pump btw.
job cost me $400 @ indy in Huntington Beach area

before job I would get a ton of shuddering when engine warms. I still have to do some more driving to see if that remedied it but I was expecting the shudder to be from the transfer case, which has seen its fluid change and reset @ 175k miles. When the mechanic checked the worm gear of the transfer case during the atf, for possible repair, he said it looks fine.

Also during the mornings from a cold start, my trans would whine and I am sure it is because the fluid was low because I pulled the check plug without the car being in neutral and lost some fluid. I looked at the pan but didn't take pics or keep it. The magnets had a fair share of metal shavings and the fluid looked darker. Since I didn't have a pair of gloves on, I didn't rub the fluid between my fingers to check the viscosity but I dipped a piece of white paper into it and can see that the fluid had discoloration throughout!

So far my shifting has become smoother but I still get a slight kickdown but I plan to reset the adaptations using ISTA and maybe that will clear that up. And so far no shudder but I have only put about 75 miles on but so far so good.
btw- the shuddering would occur when the trans was in between shifting, and it stopped or didn't occur in between shifting if I was in Sports mode [shift stick over left].

I am happy I do not have the problems that come from those turbos since my motor is the last I6 na. But I do have the engine tick at cold starts and so far BMW NA doesn't want to cover me and the problem has a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty so I will be contacting DOT or someone for some help! Other than that, this car is ridiculously reliable, because I have been racing through mountains and even been off roading and in deep snow! Only component I lost was a wheel bearing but it didn't leave me stranding, just would sound like you have a flat tire when you're driving.

Its almost time for my 10k oil change so I would like this time to send some oil in for testing.
Appreciate 2