View Single Post
      12-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

I notice GLKs and GLCs are overall quieter. Every make has its pluses and minuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykr0n View Post
For general BMW reliability, I had a new '14 BMW 228i (4-cyl Turbo) manual that I just returned in June since the lease ended and it was rock solid. I drove the car very hard. Not a single issue with the engine or transmission or interior or anything really, other than the clutch wearing out. I miss that car.

For the wifey, just got a CPO 2015 (LCI) X3 35i back in Feb with ~40K miles for around $34K. It is pretty much the same options as the one you mentioned without the X-line package. The car feels looks and brand new. What price is being given for the one you are considering for comparison?

Since I got the car, I had noticed a few things in the first month:
- Higher wind noise/squeaks from the driver door and overall higher noise pollution compared to other premium SUVs like GLC(Much quieter) and RX350. Drive it on the highway and make sure you are ok with this.
- Smooth and fast 35i engine but ok mileage at 18/19 MPG, when I was expecting it to be a bit higher at or above 20.
- A consistent squeak from the interior
- A metallic grinding noise

Then just recently "Low coolant" warning message.

Right now it's at the dealership and they have noted/investigated all these issues and here is what they are doing:

- For the higher wind noise from the driver door, they are lubing the rubber grommets for all doors for a better seal. Someone from the dealership did tell me that X3s are known to have higher wind noise. (Maybe that why the new 2018 X3 is coming with Acoustic glass from the front and as an option from the side windows)

- For the consistent squeak, they found the issue and are fixing the part

- For the "low coolant" issue, they found that the coolant expansion tank is leaking and are replacing it

- For the metallic grinding noise, they found that the rear diff had an issue and are replacing it.

Once I get the car back, I can report the final results, but I wanted to share with you what I found since you're considering the same exact year and model.

My 228i was new so its experience cannot be compared to the 40K old X3. I can't wait to get the X3 back and see if it can truly live up to being a premium/luxury cruiser.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0