View Single Post
      09-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

I am very surprised at you needing new tyres at such a low mileage.

One quick question, is it even tyre wear across them all is or is it confined to a particular wheel or across the front or rears?

I replaced all mine at 22,000 miles! Albeit mine are 19" rims. This was a forced change because of puncture in a rear tyre that no tyre dealer would touch with a barge pole (repair) because of the Run Flat Tyre policy of some tyre manufacturers. I had a few thousand miles left on the rest and we estimated the set would have gone to 24,000 miles if they had been able run down to the wear indicators. Note of caution at this point. BMW (UK) recommend replacement of tyres at 3mm tread depth although the wear indicators are exposed at 1.6mm.

In the end I opted to purchase Pirelli NON Run Flats with BMW* rating, and carry the tyre repair/gunk kit. I also carry other temporary get you home inserts that can be purchased off ebay.

Before you purchase new tyres, I suggest you call in at your local main BMW garage and show them the tyre wear. I had a wear problem early in the car's life and advised them that I was not happy with the way the tyres were wearing. They did say there were no guarantees especially as in their view I had left it too long to complain, but in the end they gave me a good discount on the recognised BMW tracking procedure. I had this done and it showed there was a tracking problem.

When you are finally forced to purchase tyres, ensure you get BMW* tyres. It is also worth investigating the same tyres in NON RFT form. If you ring Black Circles UK, they have an excellent team who will give you a competitive price. You purchase from them and they sort out the dealership to fit and also the time and date to suit you.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0