View Single Post
      09-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #11
grpatter
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, 2016 X3 35i

Just want to re-iterate the accuracy of this DIY for the F25 chassis.

Just finished this on a 2014 F25 X3 35i. A few notes (and images) from my adventure; took approx 2 hours and I took a couple breaks here and there.

Based on the steps (outlined in the PDF)

I did not remove as much as the cowling and panels as described, and managed to squeeze my way in/out of plugs 5 and 6. I had both a 3" and 6" socket extension, as well as a right angle adapter which definitely aided in this. It was very tight; I would remove more cowling/paneling if you have large hands or are lacking in tools in any way.

I skipped the wiper removal (steps 6 and 7) based on this.

Additionally, the intake arm removal described in steps 8-10 is how I proceeded, though I removed the most rear piece as well (running parallel to the firewall into the airbox on the right). This is pictured, but not described, MAKE SURE YOU DO IT.

Step 12 discussed removal of the power harness and cabling; be careful here. You CAN (see my pictures), remove it as described AND pull the power cable out toward the front of the vehicle, and up away from plug 6 for access.

Step 13 discusses noting the orientation of the coils and their connectors, as they differ for each plug; this is important, HOWEVER on the F25 chassis you should have small guide tabs forged into the plug well. Here's a picture to illustrate:

Also, for anyone wondering, below are a few images of the OEM plugs right at 60K. Keep in mind this vehicle has seen approximately 80% highway mileage (KS to CO and back, repeatedly) since about 25k. The plugs show some minute signs of running hot (IMHO), but are overall very good from my eye. Anyway, judge for yourself:

If the pictures ever get broken, you can view the IMGUR album here:
View post on imgur.com

One last thing; I broke the vent hose (discussed as the sensor in step 8). The plastic in my case was VERY brittle and cracked VERY easily. If you are clumsy like me and break it, you can order a replacement for ~25$ USD. I ordered from ECSTuning, but the part number is: 11127584128

Good luck, and major thanks to ///Mposter for the hard work up front on this.
Appreciate 4