View Single Post
      01-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
StylingKurt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION ERROR - Cold Weather Related?

I purchased a new 2014 28i in mid-November, in Saskatoon, SK, Canada. Four days into ownership, I got a "Drivetrain Malfunction Error" accompanying a very hard/rough start. Limped it to the dealership and they were unable to source the problem. It seemed the error went away on its own.

In any event, since then this error has shown at least a dozen times, and twice the vehicle wouldn't start. Subsequent visits to the dealership have identified a power distribution module as being the issue. Replacement of the module "fixes" the problem temporarily. Apparently, the core issue is that water will get into the module, and once it freezes, it causes the unit to fail. An attempt by the dealer to fabricate a cover to prevent water entry was also not successful in stopping the fault from reoccurring.

The dealer is pointing to cold weather (<-20 C) as contributing to the problem. They also say that this is not limited to my vehicle, but that BMW is seeing this problem on all X3s in cold climates. However, due to the lack of posts on this topic (especially considering the cold we've had across Canada and the northern US in the last month) I'm a bit skeptical on this point.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?
Appreciate 0