10-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #38
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN_GT View Post
I like how the iDrive screen is incorporated into the dashboard like the F10/F07s, not attached on top like a fake iPad in the F30
It's because of the cupholders in the F30. In order to make enough room for them in front of the shifter, and with the space available, they had to move the HVAC/Audio control cluster upwards an inch or two from where it might otherwise be. There was no room left in the body of the dash to completely embed a large screen, so they had to go with the "extension" look. A hump would have interfered with visbility too much at that height.

This cupholder treatment also creates an awkward gap in the dashboard flow from the control cluster to the center console, which is one of the substantial problems with the F30's interior aesthetic in my opinion.

The X3/X4 has a little more room to work with (as does the F10), so they avoid this issue.

The cupholders in the E90 and E60, although really stupid overall, avoided this issue by extending from inside the dash itself - one of the reasons why the interiors of those two cars could be as similar as they were, despite size differences.