06-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #1810
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
Horsey - I see that you have the Electric Towbar as an option - Are you intending to tow a caravan?

If so, you need to know that the BMW electrics (like some other German manufacturers) do NOT usually include the seperate ignition controlled +ve and return for the fridge whilst towing. BMW conforms to BMW standards not ISO standards. The 13 pin socket has holes for the +ve & -ve but the wiring to the socket is missing the cores.

Because I was aware of the issue from a previous BMW, I questioned the dealers prior to ordering.
One dealer simply confirmed that I was right, but that the workshop knew how to fit the relay and wires - No extra charge.
Another dealer blustered - then checked - then confirmed I was correct and wanted to charge me £800 to fix a BMW shortcoming. Needless to say they didn't sell me a car.

So if running a caravan fridge is important. Check that the 13 pin socket is correctly wired and if not jump all over the dealer
Thanks for the heads up ...

... actually no, its for towing a horse trailer and stuff.

I may pursue it with the dealer, but its a bit after the event and I don't plan on delaying my pick up!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0