View Single Post
      02-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #28
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0 Diesel

Not sure where the video went - not mine - not showing in youtube search either.

Install not that hard.

Make sure that the car electrics are off - ie wait at least 15 minutes after ignition off.

Lever out the front air vent by using fingers at the top. It will pop out easily. The vent will be retained by the cable (unhook it - noting how it is installed) and the wiring to the centre switch. To get this wiring unclipped press the bottom retainer to partially remove the switch angling it down to get easy access to the cable. Gentle wiggle and it will come out. Then place the entire air vent somewhere.

Undo the two screws under the leading edge of the storage bin. Do not drop them! Lever the front of the bin up and remove.Remove the metal circlips that the mounting screws lock into from the old storage bin and fit the the same tabs on the DVN unit.

Disconnect the wiring loom from the DVN if it came installed (I cannot remember). This is hard but be gentle. You will need to feed this from the rear of the radio position up the storage bin area. In the US spec model this is really easy - it is much for difficult for right hand drive vehicles.

You need to remove the centre console fascia and the radio. Undo the top two screws and using a plastic panel tool lever the top edges of the console - it will unclip easily. Leave the wiring intact. Place it to one side.

Now you will see the two screws holding the head unit in place.

Undo them and slide out the head unit. Do NOT try to remove the antenna connection. Rotate the head unit to get access to the large block connector at the rear (left rear looking from the front).

Notice that the DVN comes with a similar looking block connector. What you are going to do is disconnect the block connector from the radio and connect the DVN version of the same connector and then the other end of the DVN connector has a block connector than mates with the connector you took off the radio. ie the DVN is now in SERIES with the wiring to the radio. Not yet though!

Feed the DVN cable (the plug end that you disconnected from the DVN head unit) from the rear of the radio area up to the storage bin area.

Remove the connector from the rear of the radio. It is held in place by a plastic CAM or lever. Do no just try to pull it off. The CAM lever clips into position and must be gently un clipped before it will rotate. As it rotates the connector is levered away from the radio. Join the appropriate DVN connector to the one you just removed using the CAM action to lever the two together. Now fit the DVN connector the the rear of the radio and again use the cam lever to lever the connector in to position. Make sure both block connectors are now secure and the levers clipped into the home position. Wrap the floating connector in some foam so it does not rattle. Stuff the cable clear of the rear of the radio. Make sure the cabling does not interfere with the vent control and cam you will see in the the dash area to the right of the radio. Replace the radio - fasten both screws. You can also replace the fascia (clip in and replace the two screws) - you are done here.

In the storage bin area you need to stuff in all the extra cable. I wrapped the cable in foam - again to avoid rattles.

Install the GPS antenna to the DVN. I did not run the antenna outside the storage bin but wrapped it in foam and stuffed it to the right of the storage bin away from metal but just under the dash surface. It seems to work fine there.

Now join the cable to the DVN head unit. Mount the DVN unit rear end first. You will see that the tabs will slot into the guides at the rear. Push back and you drop the front into position. Replace the mounting screws at the front. At this stage it should be operational if you want to test it.

Re-fit the wiring to the air vent. Note the trick to partially un clip the lower retaining clip on the switch and push the switch bottom section only out of the panel to get easier access to the wiring. Refit the cable. Replace the air vent.

If I missed something I will update.

Last edited by x3oiler; 02-19-2012 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Disassembly order was wrong and typos
Appreciate 0