View Single Post
      08-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Drove a new Evoque

Our local Land Rover dealer just had an event introducing the new Range Rover Evoque. I did not get too much time with it, but here's a quick rundown relative to my X3 35i:

Size:
Its a little smaller than the x3{110.5"} with a 104.7 " wheelbase. Probably closer to an X1 in terms of size.

Driving:
Not bad, but not near the acceleration of the X3 nor the handling.
0-60mph is in the 7 something range with 240 hp coming from its Ford built 4 cylinder turbo.

Exterior Design:
No question the Evoque is stunning. It is a concept car come to life. Beautiful head and taillamps with very short overhangs and big wheels.

Interior Design:
Interesting and very British. I felt like I was in an old James Bond movie driving an old Jensen or Jag. It has this sort of retro -cool aesthetic. Interior tech is comparable but I dont think its an integrated as the BMW.

From the driver's seat the car feels like being in an Audi TT with a very high sill line and narrow sight lines. Front Seat in the Dynamic Model I test drove was comfortable. No up and down for the lumbar and no extending thigh rest or adjustable kidney bolsters like we have in SAP equipped X3s

Rear seating is much tighter foot room wise but the to me, they were more comfortable due to there better shape

Cool features:
Giant full length non opening panoramic sunroof with an opaque shade.
19" or 20" wheels
Full size t{hough not the same width} spare in the boot.
Composite front fenders
Real off road capability
19" fording depth

Sum Up:
Looks wise, It's exterior makes everything feel old, but it has a bit of that Barbie car - more fashion than function going for it. I think the X3 just feels more like a serious car.
That said, its hard not to agree with the pundits that say this car will ignite Range Rover sales.

Last edited by torzeck; 08-12-2011 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: formatting
Appreciate 0